Table of Contents
Before getting to know how to download e-Aadhaar card, let’s understand what is an e-Aadhaar Card? Why download e-Aadhaar card? What are its usage? Where can it be used?
What is e-Aadhaar Card?
In simple words, it is an electronic version of your aadhaar card. e-Aadhaar Card is same as your printed card; it is having all necessary information as of printed aadhaar card. As it is electronic (a PDF file) you download it from the internet.
e-Aadhaar Card downloading is available from UIDAI portal only, that is the only authentic source for same.
Why download e-Aadhaar card?
It is not compulsory to download e-Aadhaar card. It is like complimentary service, but you can choose to download it in following cases.
- When you are waiting for aadhaar card delivery by India Post. This happens, sometimes they send aadhaar card letter to the wrong address, or you have added the old / wrong address in the application form.
So in this case, you can download e-Aadhaar card and use it as proof of identity or proof of address wherever required.
- When you have lost or damaged the printed aadhaar card you can use e-Aadhaar Card instead. It is having the same credibility as printed card.
Kindly note that e-Aadhaar Card is as authentic and legitimate as printed version.
You can download e-Aadhaar card only if your enrolment is successful, if your enrolment is under process you cannot download it.
Now you know what is e-Aadhaar Card and its usage let’s see
How to download e-Aadhaar card Procedure
- Go to e-Aadhaar website. You will see above screen.
- if your application is in process choose “Enrolment ID” and if you have aadhar card already issued to you and you have an aadhaar number then choose “Aadhaar” – on yellow stripe.
- Fill in EID or Aadhaar number accordingly. Read this guide to know how to Generate EID from acknowledgement slip
- Add “Full Name”, please add the exact name as shown on acknowledgment slip or aadhaar card.
- Enter “Pin Code”, i.e your postal code. It should same as one entered in the application form. This “Pin Code” is your password for the e-Aadhaar card.
- Enter security code as shown in the image. For you, it will different, not same as shown in above screenshot.
- Click on “Get One Time Password”. OTP would be sent to your registered mobile number, one which you submitted at the time of an Aadhaar card application. You cannot proceed if you don’t receive OTP or if you don’t have registered mobile number with you. OTP is compulsory for all electronic / online processes related to an aadhaar card.
- “Enter OTP” and click on “Validate & Download“. The system will validate all data entered and if it is successful it will download e-aadhaar card in pdf file format.
- Click to open the downloaded pdf file. (it will be default download folder on your PC / mobile). It will ask for a password. Enter your postal “Pin Code” as a password.
If you have “Adobe Reader” on your PC then it will be opened there.
If you don’t have “Adobe Reader” then follow the steps given below.
How to download and Install Adobe Reader
- Visit official Adobe Reader website.
- Click on “Install now” button.
- Double click on downloaded file.
- Installer will download actual software online.
- Once the installation is complete you can open your e-Aadhaar in Adobe Reader.
If you want to use e-Aadhaar for offline processes, then you should take a Color Print of e-Aadhaar. Visit nearest Internet cafe which having a color printer as get a copy.