Table of Contents
Before going further let us tell you that, you cannot apply for caste certificate online in all states. Not all state government or district administration bodies support an online application. Here in this article, we will explain you both online and offline options.
There is one more misconception in this regard, please note that caste certificate and caste validity are NOT same. Caste validity certificate validates your caste certificate. In this document, we will cover that point too.
Document Required for Caste Certificate
We have created a separate detailed article for a document required for this process. Click here to see the list of documents. There are different scenarios when you apply for caste certificate like if your father’s caste certificate is not available or you / your father migrated from different state. We have all those scenarios covered in that document. Let’s jump to procedure now.
Apply for Caste Certificate Online
As of now very few states offer an online application, you should visit respective state’s Official Backward Class Welfare Department portal. Here is the general procedure.
- Visit your state’s Backward Class Welfare Portal. Department names can be different as per each state.
- Click on link “Apply for Caste Certificate Online”
- You may ask to create an account or you can directly fill online application form.
- Log into your account.
Fill in the online form. You need to fill in the following information
- Personal details
- Adress details
- Contact details
- Details of father’s / blood relative’s and their caste certificate details.
- Details of local references
- Other detailed if you have migrated from other state / district.
- Verify your details and if you agree with terms and condition click submit button.
- Now choose the type document you are uploading.
- Upload the scanned copies of documents and click on “Submit” button.
- On successful application, you should get an acknowledgment slip. This will have application number.
- You can take a print of this acknowledgment slip or save it on your PC / laptop / USB. You need this application number to check application status.
- After successful verification, you can download your caste certificate from your account. You will probably get it on your postal address too.
- You may also get email / SMS once the process is done.
Meanwhile, you can check the status online from the same portal. On the same portal click on “Check Caste Certificate Status” link. You need an application number for that.
Please note that caste certificate online application process can vary state to state, we have given a more generic workflow of the process.
Apply for Caste Certificate Offline
As of today at many places, you need to visit Tehsil Office, Revenue Office, SDM Office or CSC / SETU centers to apply for caste certificate. Here is the common procedure.
1. Visit Tehsil Office (depends on your location)
2. Get an application form. Fill in the details in the form. You need to provide personal, address and contact details.
3. In “Caste details” section you need to provide your father’s details. If your father’s caste certificate is not available then you need to provide blood relatives caste certificate / documents.
4. Then tick mark the caste option you are applying for.
5. If you have migrated from another state then you must specify that in the form.
6. Then you need to fill and sign the self-declaration part.
7. You may ask to affix passport size photo on the application form. You may also need to have a local reference for verification. But again this depends on state to state.
8. Submit signed an original form with self-attested copies of respective documents to the officer. Keep original documents with you, the officer may ask them for initial verification.
9. Generally, it takes a month to get certificate. You need to collect it from office. Once again time may vary. J
As we said in the introductory section, caste certificate and caste validity certificates are not same. For some processes, you need to get your caste certificate validated. That’s where validation process comes in. Same way can validate other documents like income certificate, domicile certificate etc. So let learn how to-
Apply for Caste Validity Certificate
1. Visit Tehsil or SDM office and ask for caste validity certificate application form.
2. Fill in the form correctly and submit it to the officer.
3. It may take a month for the certificate.
Apply for Central Caste Certificate
There is little information on how to apply for Central Caste Certificate. What we have understood is that central certificate is not different altogether. The only difference is that there is a “specific format” for central caste Certificate. Check an example here from gate.iisc.ernet.in.
You should always take format from a respective institution which asking for central caste certificate. They will have format uploaded on their website. Download template and print it. Fill in the details and declarations and visit Tehsil or SDM office where you got your certificate. Please note that there can separate central caste certificate template for OBC, SC, ST and NT.
- You need to affix 5 Rupee court stamp on the application form. Fees may vary across different states.
- In some states, you may also need to give details of local reference.
- Fill in the form completely and enclose all required document. Most of the applications are rejected due to these 2 very important and basic reasons.
- Proof of living is the most important and complicated documents in this process. And if you or your parent are / were migrated within different states then it becomes more complicated.
- In such complicated case, it is better to guidance / help/ service from a lawyer / advocate. Rather wasting time in speculating different pieces of advice, you should go to lawyer or advocate for help.
Benefits of Caste Certificate
If you are from SC, ST, OBC, NT, VJ or another caste then you should take advantages of it. If you like to know more about of all castes in India then click here. Your caste certificate will allow you to enjoy the reservations in school, college, university and job. With this certificate, you can be part of various government schemes, scholarship, freeships, educational loans etc.