Table of Contents
Birth Certificate is mostly used to verify your date of birth. There are several government and non-government processes with some age registration. So in such cases, the birth certificate is one of those “Proof of DOB” certificate which most commonly used after passport and aadhaar card. Along with your Date of birth, your birth certificate will also have your gender, place of birth, father and mother name, address information in it. Birth certificates also used to determine your age for various services and processes like admission in school, right to vote, property inheritance, the legal age for marriage, driving licence, minor passports etc.
Document Required for Birth Certificate
No such special documents required for birth certificate application, but you need to have birth register entry in your local registry / or with local authorities. Some places officer may ask for identity proof like aadhaar card, voter ID etc.
How to apply for Birth Certificate Online
Nowadays you can easily get a birth certificate online. But not all states or district administrations support online application yet. But we hope all such important processes will go online soon. Here we are giving you a sample process workflow to apply for birth certificate online. If you are from Maharashtra and want to apply for birth certificate online, you first need to register on MahaOnline Portal. Click on that link to see details article.
So let’s see the common procedure,
1. Register and Login to your state’s / district’s e-Services portal. At some places e-Seva Kendra, CSC Centres, SETU Centres also offers online services.
2. Click on “Apply for birth Certificate”, you will see the following form. If you are from the rural area, choose your District, Taluka, Gram Panchayat. Now Enter your full name and date of birth. Verify details and click “Apply” button.
And if you fall under, then go Urban Section and choose your Council / Corporation. The system will redirect you to respective council page.
3. Now the system will ask you make payment, for this process we paid Rs. 30. After doing online payment, we have received the following confirmation. We also received confirmation SMS.
4. You will get application number with which you can check birth certificate status online. On some other portals, you just need to enter your application number and DOB to track the status of the application.
5. Now, go to the dashboard. On the dashboard you can see the list services you applied for, it’s application ID, Service Name, Payment Date, Download Payment Receipt, Service Status, Expected Service Delivery Date (7 days here for this example).
6. if your application is successful then you can download birth certificate online from the same portal. Click on “Download” button. If your application is rejected, then you can see the “Rejection Reason” also. If in case you misplace / lost your certificate then nothing to worry, you can download a duplicate copy from the account without applying for it again.
This is more or less online process to apply for birth certificate online. Process workflow, fees, SLA can change state to state. So that it for online process, let’s learn about
How to apply for Birth Certificate Offline
1. Go to Tehsil / SDM office / SETU Centre/ CSC Centre.
2. get application form. Fill it correctly.
3. You may need to give one if identity document like passport, aadhaar card, ration card, voter ID, Driving license etc.
4. Pay the fees at the counter and collect the receipt.
5. Officer will tell you the date when you can collect your certificate.
6. If you birth registered in the local registry then the process will be fast. If your parent hasn’t registered your birth in the local registry book, then police verification need to carry out. And can take little more time.
7. On successful verification, you can collect the birth certificate from office.
Birth Certificate Translation
If you are going to use this certificate for immigration, student visa or any other international processes then your local language birth certificate will not be accepted. Either you need to get certificate in English or you need to get it translated. Then how to translate birth certificate to English, French, Danish, Spanish etc. You should not do it yourself, it will not be accepted. You need to get it translated from a registered translator, who can translate certificate for you and verify with his Signature and Seal. (Only certified translators are allowed to use seal, beware of scam).
Some processes, like Australia Immigration only allows translation from their list of internationally certified translators. You can fins that information and list on their site.
those who are going for international immigration , visa processes please note that you need to Apostille / Attest all your important document from state and / or central ministries / ministry of foreign affairs. We will try to write articles on how to apostille your certificates and documents soon. Link will be given here.
ProForma affidavit for obtaining birth certificate
Click on the given link the sample proforma affidavit for birth certificate. This is sample format only. please use it for reference purpose only.
- It is mandatory in India to register birth each child.
- It will little difficult to get a birth certificate if your birth is not registered in the local registry. local police verification will be carried out in this case.
- Never share a username, password of any of your online accounts, until you intended so.